Men’s Rights Sydney
This site is for all those interested in men’s rights activism in Sydney.
Men’s Rights Sydney meets on the last Sunday of the month in the suburb of Newtown. If you are interested in attending, feel free to contact us. Ideally we prefer if people contact us to let us know they intend to come but you are also free to simply show up.
Who is Welcome at our Meetings?
Everybody is welcome. This includes those whose ideological beliefs run contrary to ours such as that of Feminists and Social Justice Warriors. As long as you are willing to be civil and non-disruptive, you are more than welcome to join us. We do not require that you agree with us, only that you are willing to engage in civil discussion or debate. You will be treated with at least the same level of respect that you are willing to grant us.
If however, you are intending to come just to yell, rant, and/or cause a public disturbance, we would rather that you stayed at home.
Men’s Rights Sydney’s mission is to:
- Provide a focal point for Sydney-based men’s rights activists to meet, organise, plan, discuss issues, and socialise.
- Raise awareness in the wider community about the largely ignored and unreported discrimination that exists against men and boys in our society in a large number of key areas
- Encourage discussion and debate on all subject matter related to men’s rights and issues.
- Provide accurate peer reviewed information, statistics, and resources to any interested party in order to back up our arguments and to counter the many widely held, but factually incorrect, myths about gender that exist in our society and that are often promoted and repeated by gender ideologues.
- Lobby for the elimination of gender specific legislation, to be replaced with gender neutral legislation that does not favour one gender (male OR female) over another, and to oppose any further attempts to enact new such legislation.
Contrary to the misinformation promoted by gender ideologues…
- We do not hate women – While we obviously don’t believe that women are the epitome of evil, to be hated and distrusted at every opportunity, likewise we also don’t believe that women are angelic beings deserving of automatic respect, preferential treatment, and immunity from criticism. What we DO believe is that women are human beings and as such are every bit as capable, and as flawed, as men are and that neither sex should be considered more or less worthy of justice and compassion than the other.
It is true that we criticise and oppose feminism but this does not mean we are misogynists. Although the two are often conflated, feminism is not synonymous with women. The latter is a demographic, the former is an ideology. It is the ideology that we hate, not women. We do not believe that women are nothing but rudderless victims in need of special assistance in order to compete with men, we have a much higher opinion of women than that.
- We are not trying to take away women’s reproductive rights – We do however believe that men should have some reproductive rights as well, such as the right to legal paternal surrender if they so choose. Men’s Rights Sydney has no official position on abortion, it has no direct effect on men so is not a Men’s Rights issue as far as we are concerned. However, our members will almost certainly have their own personal beliefs on the issue but this is their own business and not something that has any effect on our activism or policies.
- We are not racist, sexist, or homophobic – Men’s Rights Sydney does not discriminate in any way. People of all races, sexual orientations, genders, religion, etc. are welcome to join us. We already have several female members and hope to have many more in the future. Our interest in our member’s personal lives starts and ends with their willingness to fight for the human rights of men and boys. Their sexual orientation, for example, is none of our business & of zero interest to us. Gay men are not immune to the discrimination faced by all men and that is our focus, not his sexual habits. The same goes for people’s gender, race, etc.
Straight, gay, trans, whatever, we just don’t care. What’s between your legs & where you choose to put it is none of our concern. All we care about is what’s between your ears & what you choose to do with it.
- We do not promote or condone hate, violence, or intimidation – Many men have experienced horrific inequality & injustice and are, quite understandably, very angry. Anger & venting is to be expected & is a natural & healthy human response to injustice. That said, anyone advocating or attempting to incite violence, be they a member or a visitor, will be promptly shown the door. No exceptions. Furthermore if we have reasonable cause to think that you are likely to be planning a violent act, the police will also be notified. That’s just how we roll, take it or leave it. At Men’s Rights Sydney we fight with words & facts, not weapons. Besides, we can do far more damage to gender ideologues and bigots by shining the light of truth onto them than we could ever do through physical violence. Violence is not only morally reprehensible but will also achieve nothing. It is not violence but the truth that our opponents really fear.
- We are not claiming that men are oppressed – Likewise we do not believe that women are oppressed. Outside of specific isolated cases, if you have lived your entire life in a prosperous western democracy you have never been oppressed & likely have no conception of what true oppression is. What we ARE saying is that women are not the only gender that faces discrimination. Both men and women face discrimination and neither one is uniquely privileged or discriminated against, they are merely privileged or discriminated against in different ways. The difference is in the attention that these get. While society is quick to recognise & address the problems women face, it is highly reluctant to address the problems faced by men.
- We are not all straight, white, right-wing, cis-gendered men – As mentioned above, we already have several female members so we are obviously not all men. We may well also have gay and/or trans members too but we have never asked so don’t know unless they decide to volunteer that information. As also mentioned above, it makes no difference to us anyway so we don’t really care.
The same goes for political beliefs. Men’s Rights Sydney is apolitical and welcomes people of all political beliefs. If a politician introduces legislation that will work to advance the human rights of men, we will support them regardless of the party they belong to. It really is as simple as that.
- We are Men’s Rights Activists (MRAs), not Pick Up Artists (PUAs) or “Red Pillers” – Feminist detractors and the mass media routinely conflates MRAs with PUAs and other non/anti-feminist groups that have little, if anything, to do with the Men’s Rights Movement. This enables them to dishonestly transfer the blame for the poor behaviour of PUAs to the entire “manosphere” by incorrectly referring to PUAs as MRAs in the media.
PUAs and MRAs are completely seperate groups with wildly divergent, almost opposite goals and tactics. The two groups don’t even get along very well and often disapprove of each other. PUAs are almost exclusively concerned with convincing women to have sex with them and advocate the use of some fairly cynical and manipulative techniques to achieve this. MRAs however, are concerned only with bringing awareness to the areas in which men are systemically and socially discriminated against and in lobbying for change in those areas.
The Men’s Rights Movement is a rapidly growing one &, thanks in no small part to the blatant bigotry, hatred, violence, & irrationality consistently on display by gender bigots, along with their penchant for censorship, our issues are starting to get traction in the mainstream media as well as in the wider community.
Come & join us or, like those opposing human rights for black people in 1960’s America, you may find yourself on the wrong side of history. In the immortal words of Martin Luther King…
“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice”
Not only are the facts on our side but we also hold the moral high ground. This is why the Men’s Rights Movement will eventually be victorious.